What is Pelican?
According to the website, Pelican is a static website generator written in Python programming language. Pelican parse documents in Markdown, reStructuredText and AsciiDoc file formats.
- Articles (e.g., blog posts) and pages (e.g., “About”, “Projects”, “Contact”)
- Comments, via an external service (Disqus). If you prefer to have more control over your comment data, self-hosted comments are another option. Check out the Pelican Plugins repository for more details.
- Theming support (themes are created using Jinja2 templates)
- Publication of articles in multiple languages
- Atom/RSS feeds
- Code syntax highlighting
- Import from WordPress, Dotclear, or RSS feeds
- Integration with external tools: Twitter, Google Analytics, etc. (optional)
- Fast rebuild times thanks to content caching and selective output writing
- Python 2.7.x or 3.3+
- pip (package manager from python)
For this article, we are using python 3.6
$ sudo pip install pelican
Installing markdown support (if you intend use it.)
$ sudo pip install markdown
Create a project.
$ mkdir myblog $ pelican-quickstart > Where do you want to create your new web site? [.] > What will be the title of this web site? My personal Blog > Who will be the author of this web site? Author Name > What will be the default language of this web site? [Spanish] EN > Do you want to specify a URL prefix? e.g., http://example.com (Y/n) Y > What is your URL prefix? (see above example; no trailing slash) > http://blog.example.com > Do you want to enable article pagination? (Y/n) y > How many articles per page do you want?  > What is your time zone? [Europe/Paris] Mexico/General > Do you want to generate a Fabfile/Makefile to automate generation and publishing? (Y/n) n > Do you want an auto-reload & simpleHTTP script to assist with theme and site development? (Y/n) n Done. Your new project is available at /home/ficovh/pelican-projects/myblog
Create the first article.
Title: My First posts Date: 2017-11-09 18:24 Category: Articles This is my first post in the Pelican Static website generator.
The previous example was written in Markdown file format, save it as:
Generate the site and Launching the preview.
$ pelican -o output content Done: Processed 1 article, 0 drafts, 0 pages and 0 hidden pages in 0.27 seconds. $ cd ~/pelican-projects/myblog/output $ python -m http.server Serving HTTP on 0.0.0.0 port 8000 (http://0.0.0.0:8000/)
The pelicanconf.py file contain the general settings for the website, feel free to modify and add new variables.
The pelican-themes in Github contain several themes for pelican, you can use a specific template by using the variable THEME as follow in the pelicanconf.py file
Pelican is a simple and powerful static website generator, very fast and stable. Personally, I'm using pelican for more than two years ago. Enjoy your new blog.Go Top